One, Two And Seven Year Warranties
In addition to deposit protection and delayed closing compensation, homeowners may be entitled to the following:
One Year Warranty
• Requires a home is constructed in a workman-like manner and free from defects in material;
• Protects against unauthorized substitutions
• Requires the home to be fit for habitation;
• Protects against Ontario Building Code violations; and
• Applies for one year, beginning on the home’s date of possession even if the home is sold.
Two Year Warranty
• Protects against water penetration through the basement or foundation walls;
• Protects against defects in materials that affect windows, doors and caulking and defects in work that results in
into the building envelope;
• Covers defects in work or materials in the electrical, plumbing and heating delivery and distribution systems;
• Covers defects in work or materials that result in the detachment, displacement or deterioration of exterior cladding
brickwork, aluminum or vinyl siding);
• Protects against violations of the Ontario Building Code that affect health and safety; and
• Applies for two years, beginning on the home’s date of possession.
Seven Year Warranty
Your home’s seven year warranty covers major structural defects (MSD) and begins on the date you take possession
of the home and ends on the day before the seventh anniversary of that date.
For example, if your home’s date of possession is October 23, 2005, the seven year MSD warranty begins on
October 23, 2005 and remains in effect until and including October 22, 2012.
A major structural defect is defined in the The Ontario New Home Warranties Plan Act as:
In respect of a post June 30, 2012 home, any defect in work or materials in respect of a building, including a crack,
distortion or displacement of a structural load-bearing element of the building, if it,
(i) results in failure of a structural load-bearing element of the building,
(ii) materially and adversely affects the ability of a structural load-bearing element of the building to carry, bear and
resist applicable structural loads for the usual and ordinary service life of the element, or
(iii) materially and adversely affects the use of a significant portion of the building for usual and ordinary purposes of a
residential dwelling and having regard to any specific use provisions set out in the purchase agreement for the home
One, Two and Seven Year Warranties
The seven year MSD warranty includes significant damage due to soil movement*, major cracks in basement walls,
collapse or serious distortion of joints or roof structure and chemical failure of materials.
In addition to the general exclusions, the seven year MSD warranty specifically excludes: dampness not arising from
failure of a load-bearing portion of the building; damage to drains or services; and damage to finishes.
For most condominium projects, warranty coverage also includes the shared areas of the building, referred to
as Common Elements.
Limitations and Exclusions
Please consult Tarion’s Construction Performance Guidelines if you are in doubt about whether an item is covered.